Thursday, January 24, 2013

Harry Harry Quite Contrary

,


Whoa, Prince Harry's recent interview was like, a little kray kray. Now I don't wanna judge too harshly here, I mean after all I do come from the state that thrice elected Rick Perry, and I've also worn the uniform (U.S. Army to be exact), but the golden ginger of the royals Prince Henry Charles Albert David of Wales, more commonly known as Prince Harry, appears to have really stepped in it this time. 

I've always respected the fact that he fought to go to war in the first place, and actually do his job in the Army, (even though his royal title could have gotten him out of it) and I think a lot of people have it's his dedicated service to his country, as well as his good charitable work that allows me overlook some of his recent "sticking his foot in his mouth" about war and killing. He's been in a dangerous combat-zone for a long time, which can desensitize you a lot.  However, it was mostly his other douchey comments in the interview, the ones about how much he hates the media and being royalty blah, blah, blah, you know... the ones that weren't about war, that made me go like whaaaa??

Prince Harry on Relationships:
 "You ain't ever going to find someone who's going to jump into the position that it would hold. Simple as that."   

Umm... you went to Eton and Sandhurst right?

On his Vegas strip show:
"probably let myself down, I let my family down, I let other people down." "But at the end of the day I was in a private area and there should be a certain amount of privacy that one should expect."   

Well yeah, unless you're world-famous and you invite a bunch of girls you've just met up to your hotel room and proceed to take your clothes off in front of them. Then you're sort of... I dunno... risking your privacy a bit perhaps? It's the price of being a modern celebrity.

But hey, I'm not judging... you work hard, you're single, who cares? Just a future word of advice: next time, do what other rich male celebrities do when they want to have some naughty fun in Las Vegas hire some high-end call girls who will keep it confidential, and don't blame your own lack of judgment on the media. 

On being royalty.
"For me it's not that normal because I go into the cookhouse and everyone has a good old gawp, and that's one thing that I dislike about being here"

Hmmm... Harry didn't seem so annoyed when it was large-breasted, scantily clad women giving him the "good ol' gawp" while he was racing Ryan Lochte and frolicking with them in the pool. He wouldn't have been mister popularity in the cookhouse or with the hot ladies of the MGM Grand Wet Republic if he weren't royalty, so maybe he should complain about it a little less.


"Once you are wearing the uniform you are part of the gang and you know, fine, I am the queen's grandson and all that good stuff."

Dude. Being the queen's grandson and all that good stuff is the reason you got to sit in a VIP box at the Olympics. It's reason you grew up in palaces, played polo, went to the best schools in the world, and had every advantage placed in front of you your entire life. It's the reason you get to go all around the world making speeches, giving interviews, having important people listen to you. It's the reason you get into the best nightclubs and get invited to the best parties. It's the reason the papers are calling you "The World's Most Eligible Bachelor".  I understand wanting to just be "one of the lads", especially when you're fighting alongside each other, but show some freakin appreciation for who you are-- thanks to your grandmother.


 My father's always trying to remind me about who I am and stuff like that.

No kidding.

"I have always said work hard, play hard. I will always be enjoying the job … however long it may carry on for, and then I have the other job to fall back on."

Well, once again that makes you very different from many of your fellow UK and US soldiers fighting over there, who won't have jobs to fall back on once their service is over. Here was another blown opportunity to point out how fortunate you are to be who you are.

Harry also hurled criticism of the press throughout his interview that bordered on the whiny.  He has exemplified, once again, the way the younger members of his family want all the trappings of being global celebrities with none of the traps, while simultaneously blaming the press for every wrong step or self-inflicted embarrasement.


Summary

I wonder if he really wants to be just a normal Army officer as much as he indicates he does in his recent interview. Perhaps he does and perhaps it's a discussion he should take up with his father and grandmother. Because here's the thing, and I know because a lot of people who are close to me are in the military, and I served enlisted in the Army myself, those guys really are unsung heros. It is a huge sacrifice to be in the military. And it's a pretty thankless job actually.

For most brave members of our armed forces though, there won't be any glossy airbrushed photos of them in full dress uniform on the covers of popular magazines. They aren't sitting down for interviews to talk about their service to the world press. Upon their return from duty they get a medal, and maybe if they're lucky a couple of free drinks on the flight back, courtesy of some fellow passengers.

I will still give Harry a lot of praise for his military service and his excellent charitable contributions. He really deserves that praise. But he also deserves criticism for giving an interview like this. 


Wine Tasting Program

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love your blog, especially posts on the royals (am eagle on RD). Do you know how I can follow your blog with my Blogspot profile? I can't see a "follow" button.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone can comment on this blog, and all opinions are welcome! However ugly comments will be rejected.